TOEFL vs IELTS
Many students apply to TOEFL or IELTS, which are internationally valid exams, to determine their English levels, apply for jobs / schools or to advance in their career.The biggest question that stuck to students' minds is which exam can be taken more comfortably.
I will be comparing the TOEFL and IELTS exams so that you can clear the question marks in your mind and make a more comfortable comparison.
First of all, I should mention that both exams are reliable, preferred by hundreds of institutions and internationally valid. Now, we can start comparing.
* You take the TOEFL exam on the computer whereas you can take IELTS on the computer or in a traditional way.
* TOEFL takes 4 hours 30 minutes, IELTS takes 2 hours and 45 minutes.
* You can learn the TOEFL test results after 2 weeks; IELTS Computer results after 5-7 days; paper-pencil results after 13 days. (Approximately)
* Both exams test the areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
* In TOEFL, you get a score between 0-120; in IELTS your score is graded between 0-9.
* Both of the exams are valid for 2 years.
* For the Reading part, you have 60-80 minutes in TOEFL and 60 minutes in IELTS.
* The number of TOEFL Reading questions is 36-56, and the number of IELTS reading questions is 40.
* You have 60-90 minutes in the TOEFL Listening Part; in the IELTS Listening, you have 30 minutes.
* TOEFL Listening question number 34-51; The number of IELTS Listening questions is 40.
* TOEFL Speaking time is 20 minutes; IELTS Speaking time is 11-14 minutes.
* While there are 6 speaking tasks in TOEFL, there are 3 tasks in IELTS.
* In the TOEFL Writing part you have 50 minutes whereas in the IELTS Writing part you have 60 minutes.
* There are 2 tasks in the writing section in both exams.